Stand therefore, having girded your waist with truth, having put on the breastplate of righteousness, and having shod your feet with the preparation of the gospel of peace; above all, taking the shield of faith with which you will be able to quench all the darts of the wicked one. And take the helmet of salvation, and the sword of the Spirit, which is the word of God; praying always with all prayer and supplication in the Spirit, being watchful to this end with all perseverance and supplication for all the saints- Ephesians 6: 14-18
Every family...every race...every language...every culture...every married couple is at WAR!
Unfortunately for most, this war is not one that a lot of couples are winning. Why?! Because the majority of married couples are not aware of the war that's going on behind the scenes of their marriage. Although Biblical Christian marriages are under attack just as much as non Christian marriages, being a married Christian couple - (one man and one woman)/ husband and wife tend to fare a whole lot better than those who choose not to have God at the center of their marriage.
People who keep God at the center of their home and family stay married at far greater rates, and even thrive within those marriages. When Jesus is the cornerstone of our homes and marriages, we can weather the storms. (See Matthew 7:24)
We must not mistake the good times, blessings (material, physical, etc.) in our marriages as a time to lay back and relax. No matter the season we find ourselves in as believers, we are still at War! So we must stay in "ready mode" even when we're not... for the battle that's against us.
How does a person prepare to win this kind of battle?
There are 7 keys to victory in this war
1. Knowing that you have an enemy. (Not your spouse)
2. Knowing who the enemy is. (The Devil)
3. Knowing how the enemy operates. (The Devils strategies)
4. Knowing the weapons of your ware fare. (Your spiritual tools)
5. Knowing where the enemy attacks you. (Your mind)
6. Knowing what to use to defend yourself against the Devil. (The Word of God)
7. Knowing how to win every battle. (Doing what the Word says)
God has given us the blueprint to our victory against the enemy through Jesus Christ. But we have to follow it. I repeat this battle that we are in is not of the flesh.
Let's look at what the Word says...
2 Corinthians 10: 3 Apostle Paul says,
For though we walk in the flesh, we do not war according to the flesh.
The Bible is very clear. We are people who obviously have physical (flesh) bodies. But the battle that we're fighting is not of a physical (flesh) body nature. According to the Bible this is true. If this is true then how?
Let's look at the what the Word of God says to find out...
Genesis 1: 26-27 says,
(26) Then God said, "Let Us make man in Our image, according to Our likeness; let them have dominion over the fish of the sea, over the birds of the air, and over the cattle, over all the earth and over every creeping thing that creeps on the earth." (27) So God created man in His own image; in the image of God He created him; male and female He created them.
So God who is Spirit created all of mankind (male and female) in His own image and likeness. This is important because God is Spirit. (See John 4:24)
1st Thessalonians 5:23 says,
Now may the God of peace Himself sanctify you completely; and may your whole spirit, soul, and body be preserved blameless at the coming of our Lord Jesus Christ.
The Bible says three things about all of mankind. (male and female)
(1.) We are a spirit.
(2.) We possess a soul.
(3.) We live in a body.
For more on this please check out Invisible War In Marriage Pt. 1: Knowing Your Enemy
Knowing this truth about our lives is key to everything we deal with inside and outside of our homes, marriages and life on a daily basis. There is an unseen battle that exist beyond the "naked eye." Many in the body of Christ- (the Church at large) are still not aware or accepting of its existence.
God warned the children of Israel about the consequences for not knowing the truth. Listen to what the Bible says in Hosea 4:6
My people are destroyed for lack of knowledge. Because you have rejected knowledge, I also will reject you from being priest for Me; Because you have forgotten the law of your God, I also will forget your children.
Think about what this verse in Hosea is saying. I know its initially directed to the children of Israel who were in rebellion and turned their backs on God, but as the saying goes... "the apple doesn't fall to far from the tree." In other words, we are witnessing and many are experiencing the consequences of a people, marriage, home, family, relationship, etc... living in rebellion towards God and or living a life without God in it.
What does this look like in someones life?
and on and on.....
A generational curse!
When there is no desire for the Creator of all of mankind to be at the center of a man or woman's life, and he or she decide by their actions "I'm my own god!" I"ll find my own way!"
Listen to what Proverbs 21:2 says,
Every way of a man (male or female) is right in his own eyes, But the LORD weighs the heart.
You see when man lives outside of the presence and purpose of God -( meaning God's Word, God's Will, and God's Way) he or she is subject to be, do, and become anything he or she desires for good and/or for evil. If you look back at Hosea 4: 6 you will see that the children of Israels lack of knowledge passed down to their children. So the list above are some of the consequences of not having a personal relationship with the LORD. But not just for the adults but also the children.
So if you find yourself in a battle that it seems that you can't get yourself out of, I want you to know this is the reason Jesus came. Whether your single, in a relationship, engaged, married, separated, or divorced. I want you to know Jesus saves!
John 3:16-17 AMP
(16) "For God so [greatly] loved and dearly prized the world, that He [even] gave His [One and] only begotten Son, so that whoever believes and trusts in Him [as Savior] shall not perish, but have eternal life. (17) For God did not send the Son into the world to judge and condemn the world [that is, to initiate the final judgment of the world], but that the world might be saved through Him.
Now back to the battle...
You are in a War! I hope you accept this as truth. You might not understand it all yet, but know that it's real. We have a real thief!
John 10:10 says,
"The thief does not come except to steal, and to kill, and to destroy.
Did you hear that?
The thief (the Devil) comes to do three things
In other words he comes to Steal your ...soul, your...mind, your...children, your...marriage...etc
and Kill your...hopes...your....dreams...your... family...your...life
Destroy everything in your life!
Remember that the next time you find yourself going through something. Pay close attention to the personality, nature, character, and behavior of people that you are around, involved with, or associate with.
Why? Because we do not wrestle against flesh (physical people or bodies) and blood. (See Ephesians 12) This is not a physical war we're fighting!
Here's the Amplified version
(12) For our struggle is not against flesh and blood [contending only with physical opponents], but against the rulers, against the powers, against the world forces of this [present] darkness, against the spiritual forces of wickedness in the heavenly (supernatural) places.
Contend means to struggle to surmount (a difficulty or danger). In others you need to picture yourself in really bad troublesome, tormenting, evil, vicious, never ending FIGHT!!!!
And it's SPIRITUAL!
So in order to handle this battle you need to be equipped with the right stuff!! Let's look again at the above scripture that I started with
Ephesians 6: 14-18 Amplified Bible
(14) So stand firm and hold your ground, having tightened the wide band of TRUTH (personal integrity, moral courage) around your waist and having put on the BREASTPLATE OF RIGHTEOUSNESS (an upright heart), (15) and having strapped on your feet the THE GOSPEL OF PEACE in preparation [to face the enemy with firm-footed stability and the readiness produced by the good news]. (16) Above all, lift up the [protective] SHIELD OF FAITH with which you can extinguish all the flaming arrows of the evil one. And take THE HELMET OF SALVATION, and THE SWORD OF THE SPIRIT, which is the Word of God.
(18) With all prayer and petition pray [with specific requests] at all times [on every occasion and in every season] in the Spirit, and with this in view, stay alert with all perseverance and petition [interceding in prayer] for all God's people.
So we are to put on the full armor of God to prepare to do battle each day against things we see...and more importantly against the things we can't see
Each day before you begin your day you are to...
(1) Gird your waist with truth
(2) Put on the breastplate of righteousness
(3) Shod your feet with the preparation of the gospel of peace
(4) Take up the shield of faith with which will be able to quench all the fiery darts of the wicked one
(5) Take the helmet of salvation and...
(6) Take the sword of the Spirit which is the Word of God
So God commands us to put on the full armor of God!
The next time we will look at each piece of the armor of God in detail.